Classification of Oleaceae and links to other genera
Menodora Humboldt & Bonpland
Protologue: Pl. Aequinoct. 2: 98 t. 110 (1809)
Type species: Menodora helianthemoides Humb. & Bonpl. (Mexico)
Synonyms (links to GRIN): Bolivaria, Calyptrospermum, Menodoropsis
Distribution: America (SW USA, Mexico and Argentina) and South Africa
Number of species: about 20
Description: From Verdoorn (1956): Perennial, suffruticose, or sub-herbaceous from a woody base, erect or diffuse with a long strong tap-root. Leaves simple or divided, sub-opposite or alternate. Inflorescences cymose, paniculate or sometimes reduced to a single flower and then with monochasial development. Calyx persistent, united at the base with 5 to 10 lobes, lobes sometimes cleft. Corolla united, tube usually half the length of the lobes, usually pilose within at the insertion of stamens, lobes usually 5, imbricate. Stamens 2, filaments inserted on the tube and decurrent to its base, free above and exserted; anthers attached near the base, erect, oblong, dehiscing by longitudinal slits. Ovary 2-lobed, 2-celled, ovules 2-4 in each cell, collateral, attached to the wall of partition about midway. Fruit a bi-locular capsule, usually both cocci developing, circumscissilely dehiscent. Seeds ex-endospermous, 1 to 4 in a coccus, reticulated.
Links to species lists
Links to images
- Lee, H-L, Jansen, R. K., Chumley, T. W., and Kim, K-J. 2007. Gene Relocations within Chloroplast Genomes of Jasminum and Menodora (Oleaceae) Are Due to Multiple, Overlapping Inversions. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24(5): 1161-1180.
- Rohwer, J. G. 1995. Fruit and seed structures in Menodora (Oleaceae): a comparison with Jasminum. Bot. Acta 108: 163-168.
- Rohwer, J. G. 1997. The fruits of Jasminum mesnyi (Oleaceae), and the distinction between Jasminum and Menodora. Ann. Missouri Bot. Gard. 84: 848-856.
- Steyermark, J. A. 1932. A revision of the genus Menodora. Ann. Miss. Bot. Gard. 19: 87-177.
- Turner, B. L. 1991. An overview of the north American species of Menodora (Oleaceae). Phytologia 71(5): 340-356.
- Turner, B. L. 1995. Menodora gypsophila (Oleaceae), a new species from near Galeana, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. Phytologia 79(1): 8-9.
- van Devender, T. R. & Turner, B. L. 1997. A new species of Menodora (Oleaceae) from the Sierra Madre Occidental in eastern Sonora, Mexico. Phytologia 82(4): 269-272.
- Verdoorn, I. C. 1956. The Oleaceae of Southern Africa. Bothalia 6(3): 549-639.
Maintained by Eva Wallander | Last updated: 2009-10-30